From:
"Temple, Julie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 21:21:59 +0000
Hello fellow records managers,

Although I have been a subscriber to this Listserv for a couple of years, this is my first time reaching out to the collective wisdom.  I am working on revising our corporate Records and Information Management (RIM) policy, and I am looking for guidance on the definition of "non-records."  Our definition of "company records" aligns with the ISO definition of records (https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:15489:-1:ed-1:v1:en) and ARMA's definition of record in the Principles Maturity Model, but I am having a harder time finding examples for defining non-records.  Does anyone here have a definition of non-record that you've used successfully in policies and training?  Do you include examples of non-records within your definition in the policy itself (i.e. listing out in bullets things like personal communications, library materials, etc.), include detailed lists of non-records as part of your training materials, or both?  Alternately, do you not include a definition of non-records, but instead define records in such a way that implies anything outside of that definition would be a non-record?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Julie Temple
Paralegal, Law Department
Security Benefit

One Security Benefit Place, Topeka, KS 66636-0001
Phone 785.438.3187|Fax 785.438.4978

Security Benefit Corporation Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private, confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.  It may contain material that is legally privileged, proprietary or subject to copyright belonging to the Security Benefit Corporation and its subsidiaries, and it may be subject to protection under federal or state law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties.  If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the material from any computer.  Thank you!