From:
charlene martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:52:51 -0400
Does anyone have criteria that they apply, that they would be willing to
share?

I have 5 filing cabinets full of deceased members of my organization, which
converts roughly to 108 document cases, which would take up 3 shelving
units in my archival storage room.

The archivist in me would like to see these in acid-free document cases and
folders, since they are no longer active and not growing (deceased
individuals). I don't have a measurement of how much future use they may
get, but it wouldn't be daily, weekly, or even monthly.

My filing cabinets were free, but I would have to swap out the folders for
acid-free, anyway - so i wonder, why not take the plunge and rehouse in doc
cases?

Below is the criteria I have come up with - please feel free to comment or
advise on the validity of any of them. I really appreciate hard-won
experience!

*criteria*active vs. no longer active
frequency of research requests/activity
cost of rehoused archival storage
space in archival storage room
quantity of document cases in one series - does it matter that there would
be 108?

Thanks!

Charlene Martin
Sisters of St Francis