From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 12:26:47 -0700
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 6:11 AM, Stenson, Kristopher M <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>   We also give examples of non-record materials in our administrative
> rules for the State Records Commission (see "non-record material" here
> http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/044/044044000000200R.html)
> That list is based on our particular set of laws and requirements, of
> course.  I would particularly point out our definition of "Transitory
> messages," as that is the most recently updated section and deals with
> questions related to e-communications.  We also encourage agencies to have
> departments create "cheat sheets" that list examples specific to certain
> work areas.  This helps the average employee considerably when attempting
> to classify record vs non-record materials.

I'd like to address two things here:

In most situations, "Transitory e-mail messages" are NOT non-records.

They have a required retention period, generally it ranges anywhere from a
minimum of 180 days out to two years, but while they are under a required
retention, they ARE records, and should be protected accordingly.

Even in NARA's guidance, it says they can be "left in the native system and
managed there" and are NOT required to be moved to an ERMS, but that
doesn't mean they are non-records.

Regarding your "cheat sheets"

If you have 'power users", individuals who act in the capacity of records
coordinators for smaller subsets of an organization that are actively
engaged in the retention schedule and changes to policy and procedure, then
I'd agree these are a good idea.

However, for other lesser involved users, these can be more of a detriment
than a benefit.  If they are not aware of changes that occur to retention
periods, or destruction moratoriums, or changes in 'record' status, these
'cheat sheets' can become dated and they may be following inaccurate
guidance.

We discourage our users (at ANY level) from printing our retention
schedule, and instead suggest they use the online version, which is
periodically updated and always reflects the current status for retention.

As we move to an electronic module, this will become transparent to them,
as folders will be given retention periods and content will be dragged into
folders, and then inherit the retention properties. Any changes made will
also be reflected in any/all folders that are related to the retention
periods/record series.

Larry

--
Larry