From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:12:43 -0700
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Callen, Jeanne M <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Does anyone use a record retention software to keep track of the
> regulations, etc?  Years ago we used Skupsky but for whatever reason
> (before my time) never renewed the subscription.
>
> Anyone have any good suggestions?

Lots of advice about 'products' here, but retention guidance is more about
process.

Once you've developed your schedule, you know what the citations are that
are applicable to you, so it's simply a matter of periodically checking
them. In our case, it's NARA's GRS and some specific Federal Agency
schedules, along with a limited number of State schedules.  We are on a
service that notifies us of pending changes (we see the drafts and can
actually provide input, along with assessing potential impacts to our
operation sin advance) and then we scour the schedules once a year and
update ours as needed, then release information to staff regarding any
changes.

The problem about using any "canned" product is they only update them
periodically- they are on a schedule to check various regulations and once
completed, they roll out the changes... but IF they JUST revised  a
section, it may be a year after the regs have changed before they revise it
again.

For the most part, you're better policing the regs that impact the records
you know you are responsible for on your own- no one else has the same
obligations to meet that you do.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*