From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:55:41 -0400
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think that, whether a records manager or an archivist, you are
> responsible to whom you are responsible to...

> In these
> organizations, you are responsible to the company and to shareholders.
> This doesn't mean that you happily violate the ARMA/ICRM codes of ethics
> or cut corners with gleeful abandon - because ultimately this is damaging
> to the organization and to shareholders.  It does mean, though, that you
> fulfill your obligation to your employer.
>

> I think I respectfully disagree to some extent. For someone working in a
government context like Ms. Krusten it is (I think) very clear that the
public is an important and the ultimate stakeholder. However, even in a
private corporate setting, I think there is a responsibility to
stakeholders beyond your employer, company, and its shareholders. RM
professionals shouldn't just follow laws, regulations, and industry
standards because not doing so will be inefficient or get the company in
trouble with the law. Ultimately these rules should be the Right Thing To
Do (tm).

I referred before to a collection of careers as "cultural heritage
maintenance" and think it's important for everyone in those fields to see
how their jobs and values overlap and intersect. Fundamentally, I think we
are all serving the abstract idea of history and knowledge. Even when a
Records Manager is disposing of records, it is in service of knowledge -
removing the chaff to allow for better future reference of the grain.

I know it sounds a bit high-fallutin' and I know the big vision can be easy
to lose when you're down in the weeds and the dusty boxes (or unorganized
share-drives). But the idea of maximizing shareholder value or passing an
SEC audit is not what motivates me to do my job and strive for excellence.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the listserve as-is - focused on
process and discussing news. It's these scary news stories that often
motivate higher-ups who can be our business champions. But there's also an
opportunity to craft a common idea in favor of ever-increasing access to
useful knowledge.

Christopher Ferry, CRM
ASRC Federal
US EPA Region 1