From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:55:31 +0000
"What does it take to become a true data governance leader within your organization? Records and information manager roles are adapting to adjust to the ever-changing business environment. This post lays out seven ways to become a data governance leader at the core of your organization’s information governance strategy."

http://bit.ly/1PDsFFP

Colleagues:

I read this article and I see Data Governance, Information Governance, and Records Management used interchangeably.  At one point it even mentioned "governance or records management."  I am hoping someone can explain to me how these 7 Steps to Becoming a Data Governance Leader is anything different from what Records Management professionals have already been doing very successfully for decades.  I try to break down silos every day.  The reach for my records and information management program is global (think big).  I involve everyone in the organization in my program with communication and training.  My company never forgets the customer because without the customer none of us would have a job or career.  I always think strategically and my company understands the value of our records and information (or data, call it whatever you want).  And, the first step was taken a long time ago in developing a cross-functional team where yours truly as the Manager of Corporate Records has always had a seat at the table.

To me, this is nothing new.  You can dress up a pig and call it whatever you want but at the end of the day it is still a pig.  My pig will always be called Records and Information Management (RIM) as it has been for the last 20 years I have been working in the profession.  IG or DG are not telling me something I have already known and been trying to implement for a very long time.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CIP, CDIA+
Manager, Corporate Records
QVC, Inc.  Global Records Management
O:484.701.1559
F:484.701.1021
C:484.905.2517
E:[log in to unmask]
A:Studio Park, 1200 Wilson Dr., MC207, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. This e-mail may also contain (a) information subject to the attorney/client privilege, or (b) attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii) please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.