From:
STENSON Kris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2016 17:10:27 +0000
Hi everyone,

I'm working currently with a state agency that is trying to find a good solution for selective OCR software that will allow them to scan in their time sheets while pulling certain fields from the document into metadata tables. They have tried a couple but keep running across the issue where employee numbers (which start with letters OR and then have a string of digits) are getting garbled, primarily with 0 and O being transposed randomly.

My question, oh list, is this: Have any of you had occasion to use selective OCR software that can be told not only "pull this information from here" but also can be told "this will be two letters and 8 digits"? I honestly don't know if that exists, but it would be nice. Alternatively, do you have good experience with certain pieces of software for this that do a good job of not making that common mistake? Also, we're talking somewhere like 6000 sheets per month, so speed/efficiency of the software is also a consideration. We need to be able to move a lot of info fast.

Any insight you might have regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kristopher Stenson
ORMS Administrator
Oregon State Archives