From:
Vicki Lemieux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2016 21:06:02 -0700
Dear Gary (and All), Many thanks for sharing the link to the blockchain
Ted Talk.  It offers a great basic introduction to the blockchain and its
potential.

Obviously in a 15 minute Ted Talk, Tapscott can only hope to convey the
basics and ignite some curiosity, which he does very well. Records
managers who need to navigate this new technology, however, will need a
deeper look into what the blockchain does, and does not, do.

Over the summer, a team of researchers at the University of British
Columbia has been working on a knowledge synthesis relating to blockchain
recordkeeping.  We now have our initial findings, which include the
following:

1.	Blockchain technology is fundamentally a recordkeeping technology, as
much as it is a value transfer technology.

2.	Many current and proposed applications of blockchain technology aim to
address recordkeeping challenges; that is, they offer a new form of
records storage, use, maintenance or control of records.

3.	Many of the claims associated with use of blockchain technology
recordkeeping are over-hyped.

4.	There appears to be little awareness in the blockchain community of
archival science/records theory, principles and practice, or of
recordkeeping requirements and standards derived from them.  More
interaction between the records/archival and the blockchain communities
would promote greater awareness.

7.	Blockchain technology is giving rise to new forms of records that must
be managed as legal evidence alongside other records in order to meet
business and societal purposes.  This includes determining how blockchain
records will be dealt with under laws of evidence as well as how best to
preserve their long-term authenticity and accessibility as evidence.

8.	There is growing support for the Introduction of technical standards
relating to blockchain technology as a spur to innovation.  Standards
focused on use of the blockchain for recordkeeping can help assure that
blockchain technologies embed existing recordkeeping solutions and
requirements in much the same way that earlier standards outlining
functional requirements for electronic records management systems (ERMS)
ensured that these systems supported effective recordkeeping.

Our full report will be available in mid-October.

Best wishes,
Victoria Lemieux
Associate Professor, Archival Science
The University of British Columbia

On 2016-09-06, 12:43 PM, "Records Management Program on behalf of Brett