Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:25:18 -0700

> I am reaching out to know if there are any “lessons learned”, pros/cons, or
> factors to consider to converting to or using these systems.  Feedback
> doesn't necessarily need to be about the specific company and would
> appreciate any insight on installation and use of mobile shelving systems.

Mobile shelving systems can be beneficial, providing they are configurable to suit your information assets and are designed to properly fit in your chosen physical location.

As mentioned by others, floor loading is a key concern.  Also, the layout of your lighting and sprinkler system... If the shelving cuts off the ability for your sprinklers to function correctly, you have a protection issue.   Also, you should have a minimum of 18" clearance from top of shelving yo bottom of sprinkler heads.

If your lighting runs N/S and your shelving runs E/W, you may have sufficient lighting... But if they both run the same direction, the shelving can obstruct the lighting.

Another option to consider for dense pack storage are rotating cabinets.  We had X2 (Times Two) shelving in one of my previous settings that worked really well and was easy to configure for a variety of media types.

Larry Medina