From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:28:57 +0000
Hi Cheryl, I took the course (for the US sector/ CIPP-US).  The benefit of the class is that they provide you an outline and study guide which provides the framework of everything on the test (including a practice exam although I think you can purchase that separately).  I agree very much with Jesse's advice about using the class as a thorough review.  I think the IAPP is careful not to specifically label the course as a "prep course", although I would imagine a vast majority of the attendees take the course in preparation for the CIPP exam.  My particular class was mostly all attorneys.

I would say that the class touched upon nearly all subjects that were on the exam to some extent.  However, reading the books and understanding the laws is critical (knowledge of HIPAA is important, but that is only one of many subjects covered).

One observation I would make about the exam is that it makes you apply your knowledge much more than any other certification exam I have taken (barring part 6 of the CRM).  I would say half the questions were "one off" multiple choice questions about subject-matter knowledge, but the other half of the questions were all related to applying your knowledge/understanding of the privacy laws and concepts to various scenarios (probably 5 to 8 questions per scenario).

Good luck with the exam!

Brett Wise CRM, CIPP/US, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 929-0461