From:
"Link, Gary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:36:19 +0000
Thanks to everyone who responded to my poll with answers. I appreciate your taking the time to contribute. Here are the Poll Results:

1. -
a. - 0
b. - 5
c. - 5

2. -
- [preparatory] "have created category templates … then hope to come around again with retention/disposition guidelines"
- "We are eliminating personal shared drives in 2019...We have different trainings on our web-page, including our current guidance about shared drives"
- "We do an annual review and clean-up.  Initially, we did this in 2014 and gave users 3 months to complete the task.  We provided Excel reports from IT along with instructions on how to organize said report and delete unnecessary files.  We provided FAQ and specified what not to delete (app data, windows and EDP files). We also asked that they keep track of what they deleted (KB, MB, or GB) and we published the clean-up results. We provided training and trained our Records Coordinators first. It became a friendly competition and now we do it in conjunction with RIM month annually.  At that time RIM agreed to delete documents with approval from the owner.  IT restored documents if they were deleted in error or the owner changed their mind.  First we checked for legal holds.  We worked with HR to locate supervisors of employees that had left the company and were the owners of documents.  We deleted 263.64 GB of data from shared drives in 2014 with the initial kick-off."
- "This falls under annual records training (which, by the way, is optional).  Very few departments actually comply.  It’s a horrible system and one we hope to change with individualized training and follow-up audits."
- " Our records policy requires an annual review of onsite records both paper and electronic.  Our assistance is in the form an annual reminder to records custodians of each BU.   Our custodians are asked to coordinate the annual "onsite record clean-up" for their BU.  In essence they educate their own BU and ask each employee to review their own paper and electronic records.  The notice includes links to our policy and retention schedule, language about the costs and risks of over/under retaining records, definitions of non-records i.e., copies or drafts of documents, warnings about legal holds, etc...  Perhaps most important is the compliance link included in the notice since it records the custodian's attestation that the BU has complied with the annual requirement.  Reminder notices are sent monthly until the custodian has complied.  We use a records management application to assist with the enforcement of the annual clean-up. Our audit team has incorporated the annual records clean-up into BU audits as well as reviewing our list of BU's compliance."
- " Presently there are no formal guidance or resources for departments since our RIM program is getting off the ground.  I have reorganized one department's shared drive - manually - in the absence of a retention schedule.  By January 1 we should have a classification and retention schedule completed for the whole organization, after which the plan is to acquire a shared drive clean-up tool and implement the classification on shared drives with ROT deletion as part of the process.  At the same time, we are in the process of developing policies and procedures around the management of electronic records."

Gary Link