From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2017 16:33:11 -0400
Hi, Jesse,

If the person is asking about "high level of security" in terms of marked
security classified information, the answer is yes.  The National Archives
and Records Administration (NARA) accessions into its holdings Federal and
Presidential records with national security classified information at
various levels of creation.  Note, for example, that instructions for
transfer of electronic records refer to identification of Confidential,
Secret, Top Secret and Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) material.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.archives.gov_records-2Dmgmt_accessioning_electronic.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=SP-8FrvckMQiuaaRnfcA8h-8mw-N3zR9FgmdEX6herc&e=

As you know, the Chief Records Officer of the United States, the Director,
Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO), and the Director, National
Declassification Center (NDC) report to NARA's Executive for Agency
Services. The Executive for Agency Services reports to Jay Bosanko, NARA's
Chief Operating Officer, who is one of the top experts in the U.S. on
national security information.  NARA stores security classified at the
required levels of protection.

NARA also operates a classified research room as well as an unclassified
research facility at its College Park facility in the Washington area.  The
contact information for the classified research room refers to officials of
the NDC.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.archives.gov_records-2Dmgmt_accessioning_research.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=tMUDNztn25yytbuZh1zEe7aYwzfSqOsZguvoANL4lvg&e=
 .

If the person on whose behalf you are inquiring is asking about classified
information found in personal papers, which has occurred in the past with
the papers of Members of Congress, ISOO can work with the non-federal
reposity to ensure proper handling and resolution.  In fact, in 2006, J.
William Leonard, then ISOO Director, appeared with an official of the
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on a Society of American Archivists panel
about personal papers collections.  See "Caught with Our Classifieds
Showing" at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.archivists.org_conference_dc2006_dc2006prog-2DSession.asp-3Fevent-3D1757&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=DtvnXAY7T1M39HdMMLlfkEsX845DnRTzOKgvOn0hLjI&e=
 .

Generally speaking, NARA ISOO is a good point of contact to explore these
issues further.  NARA organizational and email and telephone contact
information here:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.archives.gov_about_organization&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=p-Fh3Ck-wszGoeSmjETUfj0cTxapn-fKgpld-2azBxM&e=   Note that
NARA also is the Executive Agent for Controlled Unclassified Information
(CUI):  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.archives.gov_cui_about&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=oBnhFi0lxONYv8CggGKxlvnkAOE_VTUy_oAOLIVDQO0&e=

Happy to provide more publicly available information as needed, Jesse.
Glad you checked in about this here.

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
Washington, DC
Blog:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=SizOkfsLgPTKNeMhr8YLQlU4kd0o2FPy-400vHents8&s=_bqp-uIDtLJP_3cD_z3hZ9KKhGr6nalM-IuxKUIpTLI&e=