From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:37:13 -0500
Censorship at our cities' public libraries.
Our cities' public libraries own public archival public records of
themselves as a public institution.

   By Gordon M. Conable
http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=fifthedition&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=76510
http://tinyurl.com/5dl6c

   ALA | Public Libraries and Intellectual Freedom
   Intellectual Freedom Manual
   Chapters from the Sixth Edition, pp. 41-53

   Library staff.

     One of the most difficult kinds of censorship to combat is that
     imposed by the library's own staff.

   Staff members are frequently in a position to censor materials
   either overtly or covertly, by direct action or by omission.

   Professional ethics constrain library staff to be wary of the
   temptation to impose their personal viewpoints and beliefs on
   library collections.

   Library staff may be offended by material the same as anyone else.

   If material remains unordered, uncatalogued, uncirculated, or is
   expurgated or stolen simply because certain staff member(s) object
   to it, censorship has occurred.