From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:19:24 -0500
> From:    Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Temperature Point at which Computer Media Fails
>
> At 04:57 PM 3/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>> Has anyone seen an exact publication which references the exact
>> temperature point at which different types of media fail. In general,
>> I use this as my primary reference for CDs and DVDs:
>
> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/
> CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
>
> (see page 16 for temp and RH)

But these are storage conditions not the actual temperature at which
failure is likely to occur.  One Standard said media would be damaged
at 89º F. and then went on to say you could transport it or use it in
an Operation mode at up to 113º F.  Well that is nonsense.

> From:    Grahame Gould <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Temperature Point at which Computer Media Fails
>
> If you're not going to source these Standards in the US, I'd suggest
> you
> check out Standards Australia!!

I already own the Australian Standard on Records Management and Vaults
so I already sent some money your way.  But which one tells me what the
exact temperature that media stops being a useable record that is
readable in the normal course of use. Tell me which one and I will buy
it.

Some people lose their money in Vegas.  I just blow mine on Standards
that never tell you all the things you want to know but you have to buy
the Standard to find that out.

But here is a estimate:  70% of the records managers on the List have
no idea what the environmental control is on their media because it is
left up to IT.  The stability of the media and therefore its value as a
record is totally dependent on how it is stored, shipped back and forth
and how it is handled.

How many cases has Peter cited in just the last few weeks where major
companies were fined or sanctions for letting their email or records in
media format get out of their control.

You can request that your media storage company provide you a set of
logs that show the exact temperature and relative humidity for your
media in vault storage for every minute of every day for the last year
and they can do it.

You can also request that they put shock-watches in the transport cases
to prove the media is handled safely.  Many of them will do this.

Tape failure rates are at an all time high as manufacturers continue on
their path to more and more fragile media.  But there are data storage
companies who are proud to show show the controls they provide over
their environmental systems. You should be seeing 35% to 40% RH as a
maximum.  If you want the absolute best in stability then 30% is the
number.  But in no event should the relative humidity cycle more than
+/-10% and the temperature should never exceed 89.6º F ( 32º C.) during
its short term storage lifetime.  If you become an expert on this, then
you can establish yourself as a watchdog over IT with regard to the
records stored primarily on media such as emails.

Speaking of www.itwatchdog.com which makes a Weather Goose and Super
Goose which are units that monitor the temperature, relative humidity,
floor moisture content, sound and light and throw it up on a Web Site
so the user can see from any computer at any time what is happening,
plus it keeps a computer record.  Plus it automatically emails you if
the vault or computer room go out of the safety zones.   Zip, your
handheld tells you the vault has a problem. or your cell phone gets a
text message.

The technology is there if you want to become an expert.  For about
$600 you can be on top of the storage conditions that effect your
records and your company's liability position at all times.  To get the
$600 just pop your head into legal and ask them "Is it spoliation or
spoiliation?" When they ask "What context are you referring to?"  You
just respond "The one where we get sued for about $10 million because
we let our records degrade over time due to improper storage
conditions."  Just make sure the Super Goose reports to you and not IT.

Hey didn't we just read in RAIN about some big fines for improper care
of emails.  There was a recent case involving Samsung that hit this on
the head too.

Just out of curiosity, if you know the exact conditions your media are
stored in let me know.  You can go check tomorrow and look like a PRO
and make my 70% number be wrong.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134