From:
"Laiche, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:23:05 -0600
You have quite a job ahead of you.  We are a sizable government contractor that reorganizes frequently, usually due to budget cuts and personnel reductions. In the 18 years I've been with this contractor, we have reorganized more times than I care to count.  The constant updates to documents to accommodate reorgs drove us records and document control people crazy. Here are two changes I made that help the company stay organized and productive during reorgs.

FUNCTIONS VS. DEPARTMENTS
The biggest (and hardest) improvement I made at our company 7 years ago was to: 1) break the entire company down into "functions" that are independent of departmental or organizational structures, and 2) developed clear records inventory and disposition schedules (RIDS) for all record and non-record documents in all media based on those functions.  Since we are a management and operations contractor with an extensive range of contract responsibilities, we had 63 separate operational (maintenance, construction, engineering, etc.) and administrative (personnel, payroll, travel, etc.) "functions" located under 8 directorates and 25 departments.  Now, when we reorganize, nothing changes except the department name and manager that has been designated to assume oversight of the various functions impacted by the reorg. I don't have to update RIDS to move documents from one department to another because the records are tied to a functional process, not a specific department.  The new departments/managers review the existing RIDS for the functions they have inherited to learn what documents (both record and non-record) for which they are now responsible and accountable. Everyone else in the function continues to do exactly what they did before, with the exception that they sometimes do it in a different building or on a different floor, they have a different department name, and they answer to a different manager.  OK... So they don't do EXACTLY what they did before.... but the business process does not change, nor do the documents and records associated with it.

BUSINESS PROCESSES
We are currently developing cross-functional business process flowcharts from a high-level company perspective all the way down to a detailed work instruction level.  By checking the cross-functional map for functional responsibilities, hand-offs and deliverables BEFORE reorganizations occur, it is easy to spot which functions will be impacted by the reorganization and how they will be impacted, allowing us to eliminate problems before they occur.  This works only if you define and develop functions first.  If not, your business process flowcharts will be cross-departmental instead of cross-functional, and will need to be revised every time the company reorganizes.

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Laiche
Records/Document Control Manager
DynMcDermott Petroleum (DOE SPR Contractor, New Orleans)