From:
Debra Doell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:08:11 -0800
"Alfaro, Vladimir" <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

I am looking for resources regarding the creation of a
Disaster Recovery
Plan for Physical Records.  I have tried to google it,
without much
success. Any assistance will be much appreciated....

Vladimir

Vladimir,

When I was assigned to create a DRP for my department a couple of years back, I, too had a great amount of difficulty locating online sources for "how to".  Finding resources pertaining particularly to a local government office was quite a challenge.  I found it most useful simply to find examples of disaster plans, make a list of all the components, and then pick out what applied to my office.  While you may not need quite the same things I did, here are a few websites you may find useful:

     NARA:  www.archives.gov  Their various drp's are quite thorough!  Also, they had a "Primer on Disaster Preparedness, Management, and Response" that I found quite useful.  Use the search function to locate it.
     Disaster Reovery Journal:  www.drj.com
     The Master of Disaster:  www.themasterofdisaster.com
     DERA:  www.disasters.org
     Contingency Planning & Management:  www.contingencyplanning.com

You may also want to use keywords in your general searches for "preservation" and "salvage".  These will pull up some useful ideas as well.

Most of the resources I have pertain to local government and state concerns.  Please feel free to contact me offline, if I can be of further assistance.  Good Luck!

Debra

Debra Doell
Records Analyst
Records Management Division