From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:49:00 -0500
On Mar 29, 2005, at 12:03 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> From:    Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Vault Questions

I answered Steve on a private email as his questions related to one
particular site and since that site might be used, I thought it best to
go off line.

As a general note, I would remind RM's that vaults should be limited to
25,000 cubic feet so that limits a 10' high vault to 2500 sq. ft.  This
is a requirement of NFPA 232 which Steve was already aware of, but
oftentimes this will come up with companies and they think the bigger
the better. If you are using 2,500 to 3,000 sq. ft for the vault you
are pretty much maxed out and need to consider a second vault chamber.

As for old versus new vaults, the rating is what you are looking for:

Paper - Class 350   (Typically 4 hours or 6 Hours for duration of
rating.)
Microfilm - Class 150  (Typically 2 hours or 4 Hours for duration of
rating.)
Computer Media - Class 125  (Typically 1 hours or 4 Hours for duration
of rating.)

If you are storing computer media in a vault and it has only one door
rather than an outer door and inner door, then you are not in a Class
125 Media Rated Vault.  You are in a vault with a Class 350 Rating for
paper.

Vault ratings are like golf, lower is better. Paper can survive up to a
temperature of 350º F. while computer media can melt (Class 125) in
your car on a hot summer day.  Media begins to be damaged between 90º F
and 120º F and is typically damaged beyond recovery at 125º F.

This is helpful to throw out when the SOX discussion turns to "What do
they mean by "Spoliation"?  Not all destruction is catastrophic.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM