From:
Susan Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:41:10 -0500
Greetings from the University of North Dakota!

Well, I'm pleased to see someone found our website for the School of
Medicine and Health Sciences' Records and Information Management (RIM)
Program.  Unfortunately, this is not an educational program but a real live
RIM program.  To help set the record straight, the University of North
Dakota (UND) College of Business and Public Administration offered the
Information Management major that most of you remember Dr. Langemo
teaching.  Times have changed.  The Information Management major has been
changed to reflect a little more technology and programming.  It is now
called the Information Systems major.  There is one course being taught in
Records and Information Management -- I know because I now am teaching
it.  You all remember Dr. Mark Langemo, after he retired (he'll never
really retire), Dr. Marcel Robles taught the RIM class for a couple of
years while the department moved to more of a information systems
emphasis.  Then Dr. Robles asked me to teach the course a few years
back.  There has been some talk that we should add another course and I
think that would be a wonderful idea.  However, I am the full-time records
manager for the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences and only teach
the one course.  I really don't have much of a say in what gets offered but
I am trying to encourage the department to offer another course at
least.  We also offer the Records and Information Management course online
through our Division of Continuing Education.  So no it isn't the same
program that it was when Dr. Langemo was here but it is not completely gone
either.  I'll share your messages with the chair of the Information Systems
and Business Education Department so he understands that there is a need
for a major in Records and Information Management.  I have said that when I
went through the program (several years ago) we needed more computer
classes now it seems the pendulum has swung too far to the other side with
not enough records and information management classes.  I hope we can find
the middle ground again.

Have a great weekend!

Susan

Susan Carlson, CRM
Records Manager
Records & Information Management Program
UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences
PO Box 9037
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Phone (701) 777-6122
Email:  [log in to unmask]