From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:15:13 -0600
The position vacancy described immediately below my signature block was officially opened for application earlier this morning. Please note the application instructions. The online posting at https://www.hrepartners.com is consistent with what is shown below, but someone shorter -- potential applicants should read both. I am concurrently posting this notice to the ARCHIVES, RECMGMT-L, NAGARA-Talk and KCAA (Kansas City Area Archivists) lists. Applications should NOT be sent to me by email, fax, mail or any other form of communication.
|| Douglas K. King, Records Manager / Freedom of Information Officer
|| Sedgwick County DIO/IT-Records Management Services
|| Sedgwick County Courthouse / 525 N. Main /  Wichita KS 67203
|| 316.660.9846   FAX 316.660.3274   mailto:[log in to unmask]
||  www.sedgwickcounty.org   "Sedgwick County ... working for you"

Sedgwick County Government (Wichita, KS) is seeking applications for a Records Management and Archives Analyst, a new position authorized by the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) for the 2006 Budget. This posting contains application instructions, the complete position description, and other information.

Applicants MUST apply ONLY on-line at https://www.hrepartners.com. Applicants must first create an account, secured by password. Sedgwick County shares this applications website with other KS counties, cities and public agencies -- select "Sedgwick County" as employer, and look for the position listed under "Division of Information and Operations." This position vacancy and a summary position description will be posted at HRePartners and available for application until such time as Sedgwick County determines that an adequate pool of eligible applicants is available to proceed with selection. PLEASE NOTE: applications sent by mail, fax or email to either Sedgwick County Human Resources or Records Management CANNOT BE CONSIDERED.

Sedgwick County Government / Wichita, KS
POSITION SUMMARY
Assists the Records Manager in implementing the County Records Management Policy, including records retention analysis, operation of the Courthouse Records Center, records destruction, and archival records preservation and access. Assists the Records Manager in implementing County compliance procedures for the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA).

QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in History, Public Administration, Political Science, Business Administration or related field.

One or more years of work experience in records management or archives and/or formal course work in records management or archives or an equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies.

MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
>> Analyzes records, work processes, State retention schedules, statutes and other sources, to recommend County records series description and retention period.
>> Assists user departments in using the Courthouse Records Center (CRC) and commercial records storage services effectively, including new stores, shipments and commercial storage, access/retrievals and RM database maintenance.
>> Assists in assembling eligible records for destruction, obtaining BOCC approval and implementing destruction.
>> Trains user departments' employees in procedures for storing, accessing and retrieving records.
>> Plans, recommends and implements project to preserve archival records and make them accessible to researchers, including appraisal of records, cataloging, collection description, training and supervision of project volunteers, preparing records for microfilming and/or digital imaging and packing records for long-term storage.
>> Responds to genealogical inquiries and assists other researchers in accessing archival records.
>> Assists the Records Manager in responding to public records inquiries and with other KORA compliance matters.
>> Performs other job duties as assigned.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
>> Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of Records Management and Archives.
>> Knowledge of business functions and processes in both public and private organizations.
>> Skill in the use of a personal computer or related software.
>> Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
>> Ability to work effectively with employees at all levels, and ability to work both individually and as part of a team.
>> Ability to operate typical warehouse equipment, including ladders, pallet jack, platform trucks, and trucks and forklift.
>> Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., including carrying boxes up/down ladders.
>> Ability to successfully pass a security background check due to working with and in proximity to confidential records for certain customers.
>> Ability to work in an area below ground records storage facility.

This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.

INTERVIEW AND RELOCATION EXPENSES: Sedgwick County Government will not reimburse either interview travel expenses or relocation expenses.

DRUG SCREENING AND CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECKS: Criminal History Records Information checks will be performed on finalist candidates.  Any offer of employment would be conditional upon successful completion of substance abuse drug screen.

SALARY: Current pay range for this position is $31,641-$46,326 $44,987 (annual). Sedgwick County Government currently is in transition to a Performance Based Merit System pay plan.

BENEFITS: Sedgwick County participates in a full flex benefit program called Sedgwick Premier. Benefits available include medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage; healthcare and childcare reimbursements, and deferred compensation plans.

RETIREMENT: Retirement benefits are provided by the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS). Membership in KPERS is mandatory after one year of employment. Four-percent (4%) will be deducted from gross pay. Upon obtaining membership, employees can purchase their first year of service and other service time (if eligible) toward vesting in the retirement system.

SEDGWICK COUNTY: Sedgwick County Government's more than 2,800 FTE employees provide an extensive range of services to more than 462,000 citizens (estimated 2003 population). Considerable information about the County organization and community is available at www.sedgwickcounty.org.

RM/ARCHIVES PROGRAM: The Board of County Commissioners authorized the Records Manager position in the 1996 Budget, and adopted County Records Management Policy in 1998. The Courthouse Records Center opened in 1999, and expanded in 2000. Open Records compliance responsibility was added in 2000. RM is part of Sedgwick County's HIPAA Privacy Rule compliance program for its six healthcare agencies. Records Management is one of the programs included within the Division of Information and Operation's Information Technology (IT) Department. Staffing includes the Records Manager/FIO, the RM/Archives Analyst and the RM/Archives Assistant (a PT/Temporary position, filled by a Wichita State History or Public History graduate student since 1999). The RM Program is an institutional member of NAGARA.