From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:00:13 EST
Dear colleagues:

Please ignore cross postings.

I am wrapping up a review of an excellent new book by Julie McLeod and
Catherine Hare, "Managing Electronic Records" for publication in the Records
Management Journal.  Most of what I read and hear about at conferences  concerning
electronic records has to do with the upstream aspects of ER --  theory,
research, strategy, policy, planning, standards and best practices  related to ER.
These are all topics essential to the implementation of  electronic records
solutions; however, so are the downstream aspects of  implementation.
Discussions of systems that have actually been implemented long  enough to do
post-implementation assessments, develop some lessons learned and  identify and make
system adjustments can be extremely invaluable assets to those  doing the
implementations and to others externally in varying sectors and  internationally.

I will be noting as one of its best contributions of this book, that it
includes, 3 very well written case studies of actual electronic records
implementations in the public and private sectors. I'd like to learn to what  extent
this is a rather unique feature of this book because there is a dearth of  ER
implementation cases versus people simply not taking the time to write such
cases up for the literature, or an unwillingness to share such information
because it is regarded as competitive in nature. While I've had the experience
with private sector organizations indicating the latter, my general sense is
that there simply aren't many cases out there to write about, even after 20
years of discussions on the upstream aspects.

Some off-list personal exchanges with educators and other authors in the
field have confirmed this. I turn to the lists to put the same issue to
colleagues more generally. I welcome on or off-list reactions and implementation
citations.

Regards,

Rick Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com/)