From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 13:13:08 -0400
Nolene said:  By capturing the native format, you won't
capture the finished "look" of the document printed onto the letterhead.
Is this a non-issue or do we change the way we create documents by using
electronic letterhead as well -- which would mean color printers
everywhere and perhaps a change in company paper stock as bond paper
doesn't print well with inkjet -- unless we go color laser.

A very good question and one which we struggle with as well.  Not only do
you loose the masthead of the letterhead, you do not have the signature. I
know you can add an electronic signature, but for many organizations, such
as ours, this is not in place yet.  Although the document was created
electronically, we often take the printed sheet and scan it (sorry Steve
in Reno).  Often times staff have sent the letter and then kept a copy
with comments on it such as " mailed on..." or the analysts comments in
the margin.  Of course, staff are aware that they have to be careful what
is written in the column, as this becomes the official record and
inappropriate comments could come back to haunt you.

We are in the process of changing our letterhead from an ivory, recycled
look (with specks) to a white copy for the reason specified.  As the
letter was copied or scanned, the specs showed up in the copy, and are far
too large for the despeckle to work at the EDRMS end.  Our policy and
procedures manual mentions that the letterhead can be multicoloured or
single coloured.  If single coloured, it is black, so it can be output to
a black and white copier/printer.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"