From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 13:44:33 -0700
On 5/30/06, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Robin,  There was an ARMA standard that was being written :
> Physical Records Storage: Assessment and RFP Checklists
> SDC Project Manager - Jerry Brandes, Larry Medina
>
> It was being chaired by our very own Larry Medina.  I think the  checklist
> used in this project will go a long way in making a decision on a vendor.
> Portions of it have helped me in the past year.  Larry- can you provide
> input on where this standard stands?

Robin, Steve, Julie and Debi-

First, as a clarification this is an ARMA GUIDELINE, not a STANDARD.  It was
developed by a fulle SDC sponsored ARMA Task Force, with the same rules of
consensus, balance and openness as a Standard that would go through the
formal ANSI process.  However, the desire was to make it available in a
different manner and able to be revised in a shorter time frame (and a less
rigorous proces) than a Standard.  If, as time goes along, it appears that
there is a desire, ARMA would revisit the potential of making it a Standard.

As to "where it is", the final draft was submitted to ARMA HQ for final
editing and production at the end of the year, and it is currently in
editing.  Some of the delay is due to a number of projects being in editing
at the same time.  Additional delays are due to consideration being given to
making this document available on-line in a "Word enabled form", or some
other manner that allows users to select specific components from the total
document and generate a tool that more closely meets their organization's
needs.  Until these steps are complete, the document won't be publicly
available.

If you'd like more specific informtion on when to expect to see the
guideline, contact Bill Millican, ARMA's Director of Professional Resources
at [log in to unmask] .

Larry

--
Larry Medina