Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:01:08 -0600
Hi all,

Ah!  The age old question, where should RIM report to?

Having been employed with many companies, and after many consulting
assignments, over the course of my career, my two cents worth is "it just
depends" on the organization.  One wants RIM to report to the area in the
company that a) has the strongest champion(s), b) has the budget to support
the effort and c) has the clout to put teeth in the compliance aspect of the
program.

Post Enron days has seen many companies put in place risk management and
ethics and compliance business units.  In some cases, a wonderful and high
visibility place to have RIM report to is in these areas.  This, of course,
does not negate the necessity of RIM working closely with legal and IT and
the business units.  Having said that, senior management is going to do what
it does in terms of placing RIM in the business.  In my opinion, the RIM
manager needs to make the case of where best to position RIM, taking the
items above into consideration.  At the very least, though, there should be
champions from each of the key areas to support the program, no matter where
RIM is ultimately located.

On a side note... I have moved to a different company... my role now is in
IT as a project/program manager for the entire ECM effort at
Gambro.  Gambro is a global company, Swedish owned, that manufactures
life-saving medical equipment such as dialysis machines.  My new contact
information is as follows:

TK Train, CRM, MIT, ECMp
303-231-4687