From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:54:23 -0400
Although we consider the personnel record vital, we consider the
following more vital than other contents:
- emergency contact info
- Time Served (in our case it is HR's copy of payroll authorizations)
for pension/retirement issues)
- benefit beneficiary (if someone dies in the disaster we need to know
who receives what - some of this info can be found with the benefit
provider)
- pension records (to check claims of employees and beneficiaries)
- medical records (kept in separate folder) (needed for potential
litigation resulting from the disaster)
- disciplinary action (disaster does not get you three more strikes)
- performance review (to respect the employees record of contribution to
the company and to inform future promotions, raises, and other rewards.
A disaster shouldn't erase the record)

A recent review of our personnel files revealed that much of the data we
kept is really held by our business partners - 401k provider, insurers,
etc. Our company served as a convenient "middleman and resource library"
for these venders.  Thanks to the web our company is now an unnecessary
holder of info that our employees can now get directly form the provider
via the web.  This was an evolutionary process as it took a rather
significant review to reveal that many of the "records" were simply
reference copies of insurance or 401k documents that were kept on-site
for the benefit of the employees.

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS
www.cvps.com