From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:36:10 -0500
When a record (document, folder, box or archive object is added to our
database it is linked to a retention/classification code.  The actual
retention time for that code can change as necessary.  When we run the
disposal notices the calculation is based on the current retention
requirement.  And, of course, if a freeze or hold has recently been applied
the record will not come up for disposal until that action has been dropped.

We do keep a copy of all retention schedules to document the disposal of
records and the policy that applied at that time.

Retention times do change for a wide variety of reasons.  If they are
documented through the retention schedule/policy we will always be in
compliance with our company's retention policy.

Thanks Mary

On 6/15/06, Link, Gary M. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am going to go against the grain a bit and answer "it depends." If the
> change is in the legal, fiscal, regulatory, etc. requirements for the record
> series, then I would agree that you probably want to change the retention
> for legacy records in that series.
>
> But if the retention has changed because the records in the series
> themselves have changed -- evolved, reformatted, organizational functions
> added or deleted -- then you may not want to apply the new retention to the
> old records.
>
> Gary Link, CRM
> Corporate Records Manager
> Astorino