From:
"Nemchek, Lee R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:11:35 -0700
Pardon me, Dr. Bailey, but I strongly beg to differ.  Yes, there are
software vendors that specialize in unique ARM systems for legal
environments, but that's only the tip of the iceberg, as anybody who has
worked in or for law firms for any length of time will attest.  Legal
records managers have their own ISG within ARMA and our own annual
educational mini-conference; we have our own listerv (subscribe at
http://share.aallnet.org/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=pll-legalrec-sis
); our own local, grassroots networking groups; our own professional
jargon; and the discipline has its own authoritative textbook
(http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1389).  Legal
records management is about as distinct and idiosyncratic as you can get
in this field.  Notwithstanding the above and getting back to the
original question below, this doesn't mean that an individual with a
solid, general/corporate records management background can't obtain a
position in a law firm and eventually do very well.  We all have to
start somewhere, after all.  However, it would be a big mistake to
believe that the transition will be "seamless!"

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek
Information Resources Manager
Morrison & Foerster LLP