From:
Jeanne Callen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:48:43 -0600
Yep, I've tried a record is a record.....she just doesn't get it.

Thank you for your reply.
Jeanne

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/30/2006 1:34 PM >>>

Jeanne asks...does anyone have a suggestion on how I can explain
to the records contact in that area how to determine whether or not
something someone is retaining electronically should be listed on the
retention schedule?

A record is a record is a record!  Electronic or Hard Copy.  The medium
is just different.  Sometimes records are only created electronically
but in the schedules you could identify the medium.  E-mails although
created electronically are not filed because they are in an electronic
format only.  They are filed according to the subject or content, just
like a paper record.  I could go on and on with many examples but will
keep it high level.  You should have an electronic document management
policy and/or guidelines, which will give you the legislative authority
to ensure they capture these electronic records.  Policies, guidelines,
procedures, best practices always are the way to go.  They also must be
supported from the top down and then horizontally.  Cheers.
John

John A. Gervais

storm coming here tomorrow with snow and freezing rain yuck!  Must get
gas for my snowblower and salt for the driveway!  Brrr