From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:14:26 -0500
I've appended our media storage specs below.  We have 2 years left to
run on the current contract.  Because our backup tapes are NOT (I
repeat, NOT) used for retention purposes, we rotate the tapes weekly,
monthly, quarterly, and yearly on a schedule devised by IT.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA

Media Storage For Computer Backup Tapes
Specifications

Storage of a mix of approximately 174 DLT3, DLT4, and DDS4 magnetic
tapes per month for backup to network servers at Newport News
Waterworks.  Storage facility must meet all requirements of ANSI/PIMA
IT9.23 Imaging Materials - Polyester Base Magnetic Tape - Storage
Practices and all requirements of NFPA 232-2000 Standard for Protection
of Records.  Storage must be in a minimum 2 hour rated - Class 150
storage device (including standards records vault) tested in accordance
with UL72 - Standard for Tests for Fire Resistance of Record Protection
Equipment as required by NFPA 232-2000.  Service will include daily
pickup and delivery of tapes from <address>.  Tapes will be rotated in
accordance with a schedule established by Waterworks.  Tapes being
pulled for rotation will be delivered on next scheduled pickup day.
Number of tapes per daily trip and in storage will vary as follows:

Current (FY03)
Storage Frequency	# of Tapes	# of Sets	Total Units
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Quarterly
Annual
Archive
Total/month

Future (FY04)*
Storage Frequency	# of Tapes	# of Sets	Total Units
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Quarterly
Annual
Archive
Total/month

Transportation  	 	 	# of Trips**
Trips/Month

*includes 2 new servers for OPTC and 2 new servers for SCADA
**based on SCADA tapes being delivered to OPTC by WW staff

Tapes may be requested by approved Waterworks staff for delivery next
scheduled pickup day.  On rare occasions, tapes may be requested by
approved Waterworks staff for immediately delivery.  Following an
emergency, tapes may be requested by approved Waterworks staff for
immediately delivery to a location other than 700 Town Center Drive.

Costs include unit cost for storage, any pull/retrieval costs for
requested tapes, pickup/delivery cost per trip, any charges for
permanent removal of all backup tapes from the storage facility, and any
emergency pull and pickup/delivery charges.  Any special transport
requirements, such as required special containers for transport of the
tapes are noted on the cost estimate sheet.  Waterworks will award
contract for one year, renewable for four years.  Storage and service
fees are to be invoiced monthly.  Waterworks will pay approved charges
monthly on receipt of invoice.