From:
Marty Rehbein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:35:17 -0700
Hello everyone!  I've been lurking on the list for a while, and thought
I'd introduce myself.  I'm the City Clerk for Missoula, Montana.
Missoula is the 2nd largest city in Montana and is located in Montana's
western mountains.  "A River Runs Through It" took place in Missoula.
I've been in this job about 12 years now, and I love it!  I'm
responsible for the city's legislative process, our volunteer
neighborhood council system, and our records management program. I
really enjoy reading the messages on the listserv, and I've learned
everything I know about RIM from ARMA members.  I joined ARMA shortly
after taking this job.  What a great group of people!

I'm working on the same thing right now as our Mayor prepares his State
of Missoula address.  And your question really caught my attention.

These "State of the Company" speeches are typically very carefully
orchestrated.  It's likely the media and your investors will be invited.
Because you are being asked to submit the questions before the CEO's
address tells me that the questions will be filtered to include the
points the CEO is interested in making about the company's future.  That
means addressing competitiveness, profitability, etc....You indicated in
your message that "grassroots" is the way that things get done at this
company.  So you'll need to do a bit of "orchestration" of your own
using the grassroots inroads you've already developed to get your
question in the spotlight.

Patrick Cunningham offered some fantastic advice.  Some additional
suggestions I'd offer are:

1) Get the folks you've been working with at the grassroots level to
elevate communication about the RIM program before questions are due to
the CEO. This will increase the likelihood that your question will be
selected and addressed by the CEO.

2) Follow Patrick's advice about the question you ask and emphasize the
direct benefits the RIM program will bring to the bottom line.  (An
inventory always focuses attention on ways to improve a business process
saving time and/or money).  Do some research about what your competitors
are doing, and if they have a RIM program, you might figure some
language about competitive advantage in your question especially since
you're working in a highly regulated sector.  I'd stay away from
references to the risks corporate officers and board members face in the
absence of the RIM program in such a public setting.  What CEO is going
to stand up in a public setting and say something that would indicate to
the media and your investors that the company officers and board are all
at risk of going to jail?  Talk about a career ending move!  Risk and
liability are very important, but they are subjects best broached at a
follow-up meeting where the media and your investors aren't present.

3) Lay the groundwork for follow up after the January session before it
occurs.   Talk with supporters at high levels in your organization who
can help ensure that your solution gets on and stays on management's
radar screen.   These people can point to you as the "go to" person to
successfully implement the solution.

Marty Rehbein, City Clerk

City of Missoula

435 Ryman