From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:37:24 -0800
We are presently using the program provided by our storage vendor to
index our records. It is adequate, but it is cumbersome, not as robust
as I'd like and it does not handle electronic records at all. I have
been told there is no chance I could get approval for a different
software package, so I've been looking with great interest at
Microsoft's RIM Blog and what they are doing with SharePoint Server 2007
and Office 2007 (we are a MS shop and will be getting these products).
Our IT department's Microsoft contacts came out and gave me a preview of
the RIM functionality, but they were IT people and really had no clue as
to how the software would handle physical records other than a general
knowledge that they could be declared as content types.

Has anyone worked with this at all? I'm pretty sure I can handle
whatever needs to be done administratively to set it up, but what I
really would like to know is what it will look like and how it would
work for a user trying to add physical files and the box (with a
tracking barcode) into MOSS 2007. I've seen some references to setting
up an InfoPath form for entering the data which I can picture, but how
might it be done minus that? Although using InfoPath may be a pretty
good choice if we could get it to pull data from other databases to
reduce actual keying.

My thoughts are that we would eventually track all records in MOSS's
Records Center. When we need a box from storage, we'd find the barcode
number in MOSS and then just call the vendor and say send box number
such-and-such.

Nolene

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes