From:
Marty Rehbein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:30:27 -0700
Great thread!  I think the answer depends on your organization and the framework you operate in.

I have about 10 minutes to talk to all new city employees during orientation--not much time.  Some employees I talk to are mowing lawns, putting out fires--literally, or digging graves (hopefully not their own); others have a great deal of administrative responsibilities relating to records and information.  So, I've focused the presentation with WIFT (what's in it for them) in mind.

1.	Definition of a Record--includes paper, electronic and many other mediums (with specific examples for each position represented in the room).
2.	The City has a policy about the creation, release, transfer, storage, disposal and archive of City records, and where employees can find the policy.
3.	Every employee at the City, no matter what their job, creates and uses records (with specific examples for each department in the room).
4.	Where and how to access city records employees need to do their jobs and a bit about public vs. private records.
5.	It's my job to help departments manage their records and information, and I'm happy to help.  Please don't be shy, I've heard it all and seen even more!

This approach has been really effective in getting all employees (not just new ones) thinking about managing their records (particularly those with administrative responsibility).  And it isn't totally boring for a person who is going to be mowing lawns in the parks most of the time.

Marty Rehbein, City Clerk
City of Missoula
435 Ryman
Missoula, MT  59802