From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:14:03 -0800
Just got back from a meeting.

<snip>So I take it ALL of Reno's records are in an on-line
database?<snip>

Nope, not yet.  Have not gotten that far yet; it is going to take a
while; probably subsequent to my retirement in eight years.  Like I have
discussed in presentations; getting everybody to STOP PRINTING to paper
most likely will take a generational progression to achieve this RIM
paradigm shift.  Got to start sometime and from wherever your
organization is at that time.  We made trememdous strides at Duke Energy
in the twelve years I was there.   Likewise the City of Reno is much
more advanced than when I arrived, and we are making progress every
year.

Sub-topic related to this.  Like Las Vegas and Henderson in S. Nevada,
N. Nevada and the City of Reno are growing very rapidly; more citizens;
more tourists; more businesses; and more housing every year; thus much
more information is created and received each and every year than the
previous.  2006 was something of a milestone for us here at the City.
Despite the aforementioned growth and large increase in information
created and received, total aggregate hardcopy storage numbers were down
for 2006; i.e. fewer total boxes in storage in 2006 than in 2005.
First time that has ever happened, and it is a good sign and measurement
of our progress.  Databases and electronic systems (including our
electronic records system) are being used and leveraged much, much more
and paper much less.   Progress...; it is wonderful.

Good discussion.

I hate paper.   Do not like microfilm either.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 1/25/2007 10:07 AM >>>

<<Having said all that, I still hate paper and do not particularly
like
microfilm either.  I will go a step further and state that I am not
enthralled with optical technology, and would certainly never use it
for
any important or long-term documents or data.  I do not use it at all
for City records.>>

So I take it ALL of Reno's records are in an on-line database?

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
<snip>