From:
"Rae Cogar (LES)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:52:49 -0700
I agree with John that electronic records back-ups are only a part of
the disaster recovery process and should fall under the schedule of the
IT department's regular back ups.  Understand there is a distinction
between the back up of electronic records for disaster recovery purposes
and the archive of electronic records for retention purposes.  If the
electronic records are archived off-line, there should be a schedule to
review these records for data degradation to ensure that the information
is still reviewable and will meet their retention period, particularly
if these records have a longer retention than 5 years.

As to the e-mail issue, we are all grappling with a way to capture this
information efficiently - I haven't found one yet.   In any event, a
separate e-mail management system can help.  If you have a policy in
place that requires official business decisions to be in a "formal"
context, such as an internal memorandum form, that can help - the
transmission may be by e-mail but the information is in a form that can
be saved.  Acknowledging that many people fail to do that, I have been
creating a .pdf of the e-mail and saving that as evidence of business
direction and decisions.  The ABA has a book on creating e-mail policy
which may be helpful, "Employee Use of the Internet and E-Mail: A Model
Corporate Policy With Commentary on Its Use in the U.S. and Other
Countries".  This provides guidance on developing an e-mail policy and
provides some caveats when dealing with other countries.

Hope this helps.

Rae Cogar, Esq.
Information Management Mgr.
Louisiana Energy Services (LES)