From:
"Shelton, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:56:13 -0600
Doug said: "I have yet to meet many in the IT community (CIOs, IT
Department heads,
etc.) who have any ability to determine how to classify records, either
electronic or paper. IT types in general terms (not all, but many)fail
to understand those situations that arise that have an impact on
retention (i.e. legal holds, audit holds, event-driven retention
periods, etc.)"

Doug, you've met me at our ARMA meetings!  I work in IT as the systems
administrator for our document management systems. I lay in the
architecture and manage the systems' databases. But I also put some time
in the trenches as a records analyst classifying boxes and building a
retention schedule before I came to work here.  Am I really the only
hybrid out there? Or is that I'm a Gen-Xer and naturally turned to
hybridization because I started using computers at age 7?

I feel like I'm being pulled apart by records managers on one arm and IT
on the other.

Alicia Shelton
Systems Analyst
The University of Texas System