From:
Maureen cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:01:35 +0000
Hi Jesse

<I'd love to see a detailed case study of how VERS is working practically>

So would I. Anyone (students?) feel like writing one? I'd also like to see a
report that compiles how different industries use various standards to
direct their RM work.

- in Canada in government at my last job I used (and centred my ARMA Canada
conference presentation around) ISO 15489-2 : how to implement ISO 15489.
Our vendor RFPs centred around the UK National Archives functional
requirements for an ERMS (aka "the PRO"). Before there was a records
metadata standard for my gov. jurisdiction I compiled a metadata schema from
6 metadata standards, using VERS the most.

- here in California, in the private sector, my vendor RFP's use both UK and
DoD 5015.2 functional requirements as a starting point. I intend to follow
ISO 23081 for metadata schema construction choices.

Probably my preference to follow standards, at all times, at least as a
starting point, rather than making stuff up to suit local business
conditions of the moment, was drilled into me in grad school. Thankfully. It
has served me well by making me able to think about 1) the historical
developments of today's standards which makes me better able to 2) predict
the robustness of current ways of doing things when new technology comes
along. My grad school prof, Wendy Duff, who wrote the Pitt standard and RAD,
focused on the UK functional requirements, the MoReq, and the other
standards that underlie ISO 15489 (eg Australian Standard AS 4390).  Less on
the DoD 5015.2 - (I went to school in Canada) which is a shorter and
clunkier standard than the UK functional requirements, so it's just as well.
  I got more out of slogging through the UK one and MoReq.

Maureen Cusack