From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:47:41 +1100
Joan

I would be amazed if software exists that can read the contents of an
email, interpret the contents, determine the context of the message and
its relation to other documents/records and then compare all that to a
retention schedule.

Nothing beats the good old human touch when doing all this.  Of course,
I am always willing to be amazed.

Some vendors of email 'archiving' solutions may try to tell you that
their particular flavour of software can do all of these things. Have a
look at "Email archiving solutions are not recordkeeping solutions" at
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/rkpubs/advices/advice69.html for
some advice about these systems. (Disclaimer, I wrote the publication)

If you want to invest in some software, you would probably be better off
going for a proper EDRMS, where people can save their emails along with
the other related documents. It is far easier to apply a retention
period to a 'file' rather than an individual document.

John Lovejoy
My own views, not theirs