From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:49:32 -0400
Bill,

The problem with grayscale (and color) only derives when the imaging
application strays away from the TIFF 6.0 Format specifications and uses
a TIFF with JPEG compression to minimize the file size for its grayscale
and color images. A TIFF with JPEG compression is a not a good format to
choose for record keeping, because it is a lossy compression. Most lossy
compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing
and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality.
This is in contrast with lossless data compression which is being used
by standard TIFF that follow the 6.0 Format specifications.

Simon De Witt