From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:06:16 -0400
Wallis,

Most ECM vendors that do offer E-mail Management solutions provide you
with a way to do the Big Bucket approach you asked for.
For Example we use TRIM Context and we could create the following
buckets:
Correspondence Administrative (3 FY)
Correspondence Program & Policy (5 FY)
Projects Non-Capital (5 Year)
Projects Capital (15 Years)
Etc...

But we choose to add an additional level of complexity to it. For
example:

Correspondence Administrative / Finance
Correspondence Administrative / Human Resources
Correspondence Program & Policy / Conservation
Correspondence Program & Policy / Master Water Plan
Correspondence Program & Policy / Information Technology Policy
Projects Capital / Tampa Bay Desalination Plant
Projects Capital / C.W. Bill Young Regional Reservoir
Projects Capital / Tampa Bay Regional Surface Water Treatment Plant

We discovered that the extra level of complexity is required for **us**
because of our retention and security needs.
The state retention schedule requires us to keep Project Capital records
for 15 Year after completion of the project. Which would make it
impossible for us to disposition any E-mails that relate to Projects if
we would use the "Big Buckets" method?
Part of the goal of the E-mail Management implementation was to enable
all users to share their E-mails with everybody who needs access to
them. Now to limit the access of some records we apply automatically
access control to e-mails that relate to sensitive categories like
Correspondence Administrative / Human Resources and Correspondence
Program & Policy / Information Technology Policy. The access rights are
given to positions in the agency to avoid a security administration
nightmare.

Currently by a simple drag and drop we can automatically catalog the
E-mails Author (From), Addressee (To, CC, BCC), Records Title (Subject),
Date Created (Date Sent or Received), Container (link between the
outlook container/folder and the TRIM Context container)
Furthermore the E-mail inherits the retention and security requirements
needed.

I cannot give a broad recommendation on what individual companies should
do, because it all depends on their requirement, but I would recommend
all government agencies to stay away from "Big Bucket IT E-mail
Management Solution." Government agencies requirements normally do not
allow a "Big Bucket" solution to be a legal feasible records management
solution.

I hope this enlightened more than it did confuse

Simon T. De Witt
Records Information Analyst
Tampa Bay Water
2575 Enterprise Road