From:
"Johnson, Chris J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:37:47 -0500
Because of some land acquisitions, my organization has been the lucky
recipient of a large number of moldy boxes.  The records are needed for
cost recovery activities. My staff was concerned about their health
while inventorying the records and so I called the State Industrial
Hygienist for an opinion.  He said that mold needs wet conditions to
thrive and be harmful.  Since the records are dry, and have been dry for
quite a while now, they pose no problem.  I also asked about the
smell/odor being a problem and he said that it was not harmful, just a
nuisance.  He said to use rubber gloves if the dirty condition of the
paper was personally offensive.  We are preparing the records for
off-site storage.  Can't wait to get them out of here!  The retention on
them is quite long.

Chris Johnson
Agency Records Manager
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency