From:
"Ferrante, Riccardo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:32:53 -0400
Larry,

The original question was whether emails migrated from Groupwise to
Exchange inherently lost their authenticity based on the change in email
systems. We seem to be in agreement that emails that undergo such a
migration do not inherently lose their authenticity and their viability
as records.

There is something lost in the translation, I am positive.

The point of the disaster recovery line is that even if the authenticity
were to be threatened by such a migration, the email created in
Groupwise will not immediately disappear.

You rightly point out that I did not specify which backups would be
incremental and which would be full, and when a backup tape, monthly or
otherwise, would replace the preceding one of its type. I believe the
point still stands that email created in Groupwise will remain available
in Groupwise format for a time after the migration has occurred.

I agree that FRCP and e-discovery are a huge concern. I have interacted
with counsel who would love their clients to destroy any email backups
older than 30 days, incremental or otherwise. Anything kept longer than
necessary poses a potential liability, possibly a very costly one.
Record schedules document the established policies for an organization,
instructing its staff on what those retention periods must be and
demonstrating to external bodies the rationale for what has been
destroyed and its timing.

Still, one must consider the federal requirements with which federal IT
groups must comply. The clearest way I can describe this is in the case
of a record with a zero day retention period. If that record is deleted
today, it remains accessible for a longer period of time via backups.
Regardless of how quickly counsel may wish to see email destroyed,
federal organizations are also bound to follow federal requirements for
disaster recovery plans and procedures. My point, these two sets of
requirements, FCRP and federal disaster recovery requirements may be in
tension.

The digital preservation thread was much more along the lines of
historical retention of authentic e-records, i.e. retaining historically
valuable email for 100+ years. I have seen numbers from other
organizations in the range of 2% to 5%. The point I was trying to get at
was not the size of the need, but that e-records must be capable of
outliving the systems in which they were created without loss of
authenticity. This suggests that email migrated from Groupwise into
another email system does not, by the fact of being migrated, lose its
authenticity.

Without question. any email moved into an ERMS would retain its
integrity and authenticity as long as the ERMS itself. Again, at the
point that the ERMS system itself becomes obsolete and any records
contained therein still needed to be retained, perhaps only as
historical records, authenticity still needs to be maintained as these
records are migrated into a different repository.

Documentation should be understood to be essential for any action
performed upon the records, as you point out, whether the record is
retained for a year or for fifty years.

Riccardo Ferrante

Information Technology Archivist & Electronic Records Program Director
Smithsonian Institution Archives - 600 Maryland Ave SW, Suite 3000 - MRC
507 - Washington, DC 20013
[Email] [log in to unmask] - [Phone] 202.633.5906 - [Fax] 202.633.5928