From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:07:48 -0400
I am of the opinion to not list them, as in most/many places they are
excluded from the definition of a record, such as in the world of federal
records, however I have come across them listed in the records schedules of
federal agencies, such as the EPA - see citation in the link below.

http://epa.gov/records/policy/schedule/sched/008.htm

ARMA's Glossary of Records Management Terms - The 3rd Edition came out this
month - Shameless Plug Inserted - defines them as such.

reference materials - Items needed in-house to complete work, usually
considered as non-records and not included in a records inventory or
on a records retention schedule.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM