From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:29:54 -0500
Earl,
I can certainly agree with previous responders that these reference
materials are generally not "records' and thus do not need to be
represented on the records retention schedule.  However, I also believe
that from the standpoint of managing the space that records (and
information) consume, it is necessary to have some mechanism for getting
people to review and toss things periodically.  This is truest in the
electronic storage area where people download copies of articles, save
copies of email, documents, presentations, etc. for reference and then
go off and forget they are there....or maybe use them, but eventually,
don't use them any more.  Without something that causes them to have a
reminder of how long it has been or that the stuff is even there, it
continues to add to the amount of stuff that has to be managed by
someone in some way.  And when that person leaves.......it adds to the
workload of someone to either go through it or continue to keep it "just
in case".

So, we come to the issue of whether you should classify things even if
they are not records, where and how you should document the
classification and what mechanisms can be employed to keep the piles
from becoming unwieldy.

Mind you, I don't have all the answers, but just ask me and I will
supply questions aplenty.  In the case of this question, if you don't
put them on the schedule, at least include some way to cause period
review and weeding.

Mary Hilliard, CRM