From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:42:43 -0400
In one way that "Information Asset Management" (IAM) may differ from
"Records Management" is that IAM attempts to catalog and schedule the
entire population of information (regardless of its status as a record).

In our online document management system we build workspaces (folder
taxonomy) for our internal customers. We have found that most
departments and projects want a "Library" - a place for dropping links
to websites and storing published material relating to their work.

We've defined "Reference Material" to include books, magazines,
articles, notes, websites, etc. that work groups (dept, projects, teams)
use as an online reference library. Reference material is not record
material (like info in support of business processes, standard operating
procedures, or policy manuals, etc.)

Since the reference material is not a record with a regulatory mandate
(and we check to make sure), we let the customer choose a retention for
their "Library" that best fits their need or temperament. We offer the
following menu of 1,2,3, and 5 years from last modification (creation
being the original modification date). This may be too many choices, but
it works so far. Of course, I push the 1 year, but I understand that
some reference libraries may need to be 5.

Thus, the longest a reference material is allowed to sit without review
is 5 years. If the item in an online reference library has not been
modified in five years then it gets nominated for purging and the owner
is forced to review it.

Since it is not record material, I am generally indifferent if it gets
purged prior to 5 years. (Unless it relates to a Non-Destruct)

The biggest problem with purging reference libraries is that owner is
generally unaware of the other folks who use the library.  We push an
open, collaborative and compliant electronic workspace, so whacking a
reference library, like closing down the public library, may bring out
some disgruntled patrons heretofore unknown.

In any event, "Reference Material" is on our schedule (with a more
significant description than noted above) as "keep no longer than 5
years since last modification."

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS
www.cvps.com