From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:35:05 -0400
"... this kind of job offering as rather insulting to the profession
..."

Well, I hear you, however I reserve being insulted to situations where
the offending party understands what they are talking about.  Ignorance,
while annoying and sad, and for which there's no good excuse, isn't
necessarily insulting.  And I think this is one (of many) cases where
the hiring body truly doesn't understand what they need and are asking
for.  Shame on them?  Nah.  Shame on ARMA and/or the ICRM?  Maybe, to
some degree, but not completely.  You can't clarify this kind of thing,
change decades old perceptions of a "profession", nor expect that
everyone in the Western Hemisphere will hear the message overnight.

Personally, I think it's great to see so many organizations using the
designation in their job ads - it proves they are trying to get it
right.  Now if ARMA, ICRM and us (individually) take these kinds
opportunities, we can hopefully guide them the rest of the way home.  If
we correct enough of them, the HR professionals will start to get the
picture, and then they will network with each other, and then more folks
will get it ... And on and on.

My two cents ...

Julie