From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:22:24 -0700
On 4/19/07, Lisa Shimamura <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am looking for an article that was published in the last 2-3 years about
> the Risk Based Approach to Records Management.
> I thought it was an ARMA Information Management Journal article but cannot
> locate it on the ARMA site.  It must have been a different publication,
> but
> I do not know.  If any of you know what I am referring to please let me
> know
> where I can find the article.
> The premise for the approach is for company to perform a records risk
> assessment to determine the most critical groups of records and then
> implement retention policies based on the value/risk of the
> information/records.

http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1495

http://arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1807

Vicki's article is great as an overall understanding of how risk relates to
RIM, but I think it's Randy's article you;re remembering, but the
suggestions in it aren't without some "risk" themselves.  Careful
consideration needs to be given to applying advice given by someone you
don't have on retainer when it comes to accepting risk.... I've frequently
told people who are considering the purchase of a certain "canned product"
for researching retention requirements the same thing  =)

And this is nothing I didn't share with Randy directly after the article was
published, in fact, he asked for the comments.

Larry