From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:34:33 -0400
On 6/18/07, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Then they say they don't see the record in the
> retention schedule but if it's really a record shouldn't it be.

this is one of the problems we face when developing a records
retention schedule. Old schedules would list individual record titles.
For example employment applications could be listed, but normally
would be included in the personnel file.

I blame the attorneys who constantly talk about document retention
since during discovery they are looking for individual documents and
not sets of records

Lets look at it this way. Assume that you are buyer for an
organization. you receive a request to purchase an item (Doc 1), you
do research to locate vendors and pricing (doc 2), you issue a
purchase order (Doc 3), you receive a confirmation from the vendor
(Doc 4), you notify the internal customer that the order has been
placed (Doc 5).  Now do you look for retention periods for 5 different
records? No! you have a purchase file that consists of 5 records that
document the placement of the order.

This goes back to identifying the business process and the records
associated with that process.

my musings
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA