From:
"Cheryl L. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:24:23 -0400
We do include non-record convenience or duplicate copies on the
retention schedule so that we have our policy for their retention on
record. I'm for calling them something more easily identifiable in the
user's mind, so perhaps short-term administrative records is a better
name for that bucket.

We hope to put an RMA into place in the next year that will help
designate short-term and long-term values for different document types
in our document management system, which holds our core business
records. This should put us in good shape for our core records to be
managed according to retention requirements at creation as you indicated
- either it goes to a long-term repository, or it moves along a
destruction track based on retention codes or metadata.

As to how we can consistently manage things outside of this system, we
will need to help our staff to know which record is the official record,
what records that they control has additional long-term value, and the
methodology to think about the end at the beginning as mentioned by
others to better identify those pieces.

We manage central records and central archives. There may be sufficient
"knowledge" in developmental work papers that would merit them to be
submitted for archival review to benefit others, as well. We hope to
keep educating staff in records and archives disciplines to get "better"
information for those reviews and to be more confident in disposing of
information that they know is being preserved for future access.