From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:50:09 -0700
> I am not sure why you would want to limit height to boxes. If the records
> are in properly designed record file boxes, and not the cheap Staples
> kind,
> there is no reason to put that limitation on a record center. Our boxes
> can
> easily be stacked 6 high if needed.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, or would WANT to.   Here's a
couple of things to consider.

You live/work in "earthquake country", and like those of us who do, you
suffer routine, even though infrequent "events", like the 4.2 we had in the
SF Bay Area this morning.

You have infrequent but regular random access requirements to boxes in
storage.  How many boxes to you have to move to get to the bottom box of
stacks 6 high versus 3 high, and how long does it take?  And how long does
it take before the hand holds start wearing/tearing out of those boxes?

When you stack boxes 6 high, if you need to get to the bottom of the stack
and the adjacent stacks are relying (in part) on each other for "vertical
stability".... does this leave you with a safe situation?

That being said, most record centers
> only stack 3 high. Most of our racks are designed that way, but we do have
> some that we stack some 4 high and 4 deep if we know they are strictly
> archival and not subject to much handling.

I think this is WHY most racks are designed this way.  The boxes are more
stable in that arrangement, and it minimizes labor efforts to get the back
row, middle stack, bottom box.  In a 3h4w you'd need to potentially move 8
boxes to get to the culprit... in a 4h4w, you'd need to move 11.  Multiply
those numbers by 2 for every time you need to access that box, or what ever
box occupies that space... because you have to return those boxes to the
shelves as well.

Even if they're "archival" and you employ the routine practice of placing
those boxes in rear seats, when you DO need to access them, it requires more
effort.

Larry
--
Larry Medina