From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:07:18 -0500
Well...I'll stir up the pot here with the following...but my feelings
anyway being a Florida public records manager.

I have been asked often why I am not a member of FRMA.  While I realize
the benefits of such affiliation...I'm actually opposed to joining such
a group. Now wait a minute!!!!let me explain.

My reason for not joining is that if you read Florida Administrative
Code and Statute we have "clear" directives on the creation and duties
of a "body" here in Florida to provide much of the same benefit/support,
etc. that I understand is derived from FRMA membership.  I have often
been adamant in communication to what we once called "Florida Bureau of
Archives and Records Management" to fulfill this duty that is outlined
of them in code and statute....not believing that they fully do
that....or have ever fully done that.

In recent years the opposite has really occurred with their duties and
the support they provide agencies continually shrinking.  And not to get
political here but much of that was due to Bush (former gov) state
government "cuts" initiative...that not only "gutted" our education
system but other agencies and areas as well.

But, I continue to believe that those of us that are "Florida Public
Records Managers" should get our primary support and assistance via what
has been outlined in Florida rules and laws...not from a private
organization.  Or our leaders should delete the associated statements
from the rules and laws, do away entirely with the BARM, and then I'll
be glad to join.

I do note that apparently it started out as the "Florida PUBLIC Records
Management Association" and then later the "PUBLIC" was dropped...at
least that's my understanding.  So, I guess membership now is open to
ANY records managers...public or private.

Gus Harris
Records Manager
The Univ. of West FL
Pensacola, FL