From:
"Narver, Christie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:13:40 -0700
	Hello - I'm new to this listserv but I can respond to Barbara.  Our firm is in the process of implementing its newly minted retention program and I worked for 18 years with an international firm that implemented its retention program over 5 years ago.

1.  Client original materials should be returned.  Per California bar ethics opinions the client files belong to the client, only the attorney work product belongs to the firm.  Both my old and new firms notify their clients in their engagement letters of the policy for keeping their files and the length of the retention of the firm files. It was/is best practice for both firms to copy the clients' original materials and return the originals as soon as possible, less liability for the firms.  If we need them at trial, we will ask for the return at that time.

2. Neither firm charged the clients for retaining the files in offsite.  My old firm did charge for returning the files, we usually asked for the clients' Fed-Ex, UPS or preferred carrier account number.  Many chose to send a carrier/messenger to pick up the files.  For those clients opting for destruction, the firms picked up the tab.

3. Both firms keep risk management based material; engagement letter, fee agreements, release correspondence and for litigation the final settlement agreement and request for dismissal.  For now Risk management materials are kept in perpetuity (hopefully to be scanned at some later date). The only time files are copied is if their is any question of legal action or if the parting was not amicable.  At the end of any possible statute of limitations issues, the copies are destroyed.

4. Neither firm charges/charged for electronic storage.  Discovery documents and depositions are stored on CD and not kept on the firm systems.  At my prior firm, electronic files were being purged at the end of the retention period after the paper files had been returned or destroyed.

Hope that helps.

Christie Narver, CRM
Records Manager
Rutan & Tucker, LLP
611 Anton Boulevard, 14th Floor
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 338-1867 direct
714-546-9035 Fax
www.rutan.com <http://www.rutan.com>

Any tax advice contained in the body of this e-mail was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.

Privileged And Confidential Communication.
This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited.